Oh god when will the RAM arrive!
I've got a stunning PII Thinkpad, a 600e that is about to get upgraded to its theoretical maximum memory capacity of 288mb.
I've already installed a better battery that maxes out at about 4-5 hours of battery life even using wireless over PCMCIA.
It's been running minimal debian and AwesomeWM for a week now, but once the RAM arrives, it'll be time to see how well this baby handles true Arch, X, and a variety of window managers and applications.
Detailed instructions, and some screenshots to come on how to turn this bad boy into a portable linux dynamo.
Standard Features - from ThinkWiki
- Intel Mobile Pentium II 300, 366 or 400 CPU
- Neomagic MagicMedia256AV with 2.5MB
- 13.3" (337.8 mm) TFT display with 1024x768 resolution
- 32 or 64MB PC-66 memory standard
- 4.0, 6.4 or 10GB HDD (12mm form factor)
- CS4239/CS4610 Audio controller
- MWave Modem
- IrDA 1.1
- UltraslimBay with one of the following:
- 1.44MB FDD
- CD-ROM drive
- DVD-ROM drive
- (2) Type I, (2) Type II or (1) type III CardBus slots
- ThinkPad 600 - Hardware Maintenance Manual (June 1999) (1,069,060 Bytes)
- I/O locations (flash movie)